CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Prologues

I've been debating this for a long time. To prologue Double Vision or not to prologue. Right or wrong.

It's hard to know what to do.

Just to tell you a little about it. I'm writing a crossover fiction series, probably more suspense than romance. Like a 80/20 split. Action is what I'm good at. Stick with what you're good at, at least that's what I heard.

There is a lot going on in Double Vision. In a short vanilla version of a blurb, Sadie Michaels returns home to rural mid-Missouri after a ten year absence. Her gig with the FBI has gone sour after a botched crack into a high-level overseas operation. With her cover blown, the FBI ices her, sends her on her way until they feel it's okay for her to go back to work. With no place to go, and her father dying of cancer, she comes home to a mafioso type questioning her about where she's been, a local FBI agent asking questions about her dead sister, and a couple of goons that look like straight trouble. Sadie decides the only way to keep herself safe is to get to the bottom of it all. By doing what she does best, sneaking.

Along the way we meet three guys who've been important in Sadie's life. Calvin and A.J. Kincade grew up with Sadie. Cal was Sadie's best friend until one night between her and A.J. doused any hope he had. A.J. who saved Sadie from a tornado as a child, was in love with her sister. And Manuel Ruiz, fellow FBI agent, and whom Sadie has had a "loose" relationship with for five years.

I have one main plot. Two subplots. And a twist at the end, I hope you don't see coming. I have a few character deaths. A past to sort out and a life to redeem.

So in my quest to tell a well rounded story in the first book, I feel I need the prologue. Does anyone have any thoughts on a prologue? Love them, hate them, skip them?

And Marn, Hal and the rest of the word count crew, count 'em up! What's new with you guys?

4 comments:

Kelly Krysten said...

I enjoy a good prologue that really adds to the story and makes it, as you said, well rounded.
As for what's new with me? I'm writing every day and pretty proud of myself for it. Thank goodness I got out of my no-writing-slump!

Anonymous said...

Kelly K! I read on Hal's blog that you're doing the book in a week challenge! Girlfriend, you're wild! LOL

I've been out of my writing slump this week too. I finished a project that's been hanging over my head for a couple of years, and now I feel like I can move on. Ever felt that way about a manuscript?

I'm pretty happy with my prologue. I think it sets up the rest of the story and her backstory really well. It gives you insight into where she started and how she's become who she is now. Of course, I think it's a little too romantic like for the story over all, but that will be changed eventually. Once I get to the end and start editing.

haleigh said...

I generally like prologues, as long as there's something happening. It's the prologues that are complete back story that annoy me (you know, the ones that just explain everything instead of using a character and their past action to do the describing).

I'm not making any sense am I? LOL.

I have a prologue too - but seeing as how it is set 24 hours before beginning of chapter one, then it can be moved into chapter one without too much effort. But in my mind, it is firmly a prologue - important events that happened before the beginning of the story, that readers must know to understand the characters.

It sounds like just about everybody's managed to remove themselves from writing slumps, me included! Woo-hoo! I had to go to a meeting in DC last night, so was able to type in the car there and back - 31,509 words. Watch out Christie :)

Anonymous said...

I haven't quite decided how long it's been since my prologue. My prologue happens when Sadie comes home for the first time in 10 years. It mostly tells of who she was and who she is now and how what happened shaped her life for 10 years (loosely). So I agree, Hal, prologues should be backstory that is truly a prequel to the opening.

But...

I also like prologues that are when the hero/heroine are children. Or even when the prologue is a feature of a later scene and you get a vague sense of urgency early on in the book.